When to Review to the HACCP System
The HACCP plan must be continuously reviewed to confirm efficacy of the system since its implementation and can be conducted by competent individuals within a food business or external experts4.A scheduled review must be conducted routinely at prescribed intervals even if nothing has changed2. The recommended minimum should be annually and cover all elements of the HACCP plan2. There is also a legal requirement in the UK and European Union for food business operators to review procedures and make necessary changes when any modification is made in the product, process, or any step.
The HACCP plan must state when a scheduled review will take place and identify additional internal or external circumstances that would automatically trigger a review of the system3.
- change in raw material/specification or supplier
- change in product ingredients, formulation or packaging2.
- anticipated change in customer or consumer2
- new or modified processing equipment
- system failures (e.g. issues raised during an audit or inspection, product recall)
- changes in food premises location, layout and/or environment
- change in storage and/or distribution
- change in any supporting prerequisite programme
- changes in legislation
- new developments in scientific or epidemiological information
- changes in customer or certification scheme codes of practice
- new technical guidance
- recall of a similar product manufactured by a competitor
The results of the review must be recorded even if nothing has changed and where appropriate a validation study conducted to prove any modifications to the HACCP plan do not comprise product safety.
Do you want to learn more?
Gain a thorough understanding of HACCP by enrolling onto Ofqual regulated qualification delivered by remote learning by a multi-award-winning trainer. We currently offer the following competitively priced training courses:
- Highfield Level 2 Award in HACCP for Food Manufacturing
- Highfield Level 3 Award in HACCP for Food Manufacturing
- Highfield Level 4 Award in HACCP Management for Food Manufacturing
- Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations (unknown). Section 3 – THE HAZARD ANALYSIS AND CRITICAL CONTROL POINT (HACCP) SYSTEM [online]. Available at: http://www.fao.org/3/w8088e/w8088e05.htm#module%2010%20%20%20establish%20corrective%20actions%20%20%20task%2010principle%205 Accessed on 01/11/20
- Food Standards Agency (2020). [Online]. Available at: https://myhaccp.food.gov.uk/ Accessed on 01/11/20